About Symmetric Ciphers.

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:27:14 +0200 (MET DST)

Werner Koch wrote:

> The OpenPGP WG agreed on 256 Bit. I don't like it but some folks
> might think this is better for marketing. The probelm that I have
> with it is that it requires more of those precious random bytes while
> not giving any extra security - there are so much other parts which
> actually limit the strength of the encryption (Rubber hose attacks,
> Weak passphrase, 1024 DSA signatures to bind the key,...)
Except from the rubber hose attacks it might be usefull for symmetric encryption only. I store some files encrypted but only encrypted with a symmetric key. I don't see the need for the asymmetric cypher for personal archival purposes. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html