Bus error on GPG ver 1.0.2

George Sinclair gsinclair@nodc.noaa.gov
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:07:21 -0400 (EDT)

I receive a 'Bus error' when attempting to generate a first time key
(gpg --gen-key) on an SGI running IRIX 6.5 (`uname -a` shows IRIX64
clientname 6.5 11051731 IP27). The program gets all the way to the point
where it mentions:

"Please wait, entropy is being gathered. Do some work if it would
keep you from getting bored, because it will improve the quality
of the entropy.
We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy."

It then bombs with the bus error before sending any progress dots to
the console.

I built egd-0.8 - no problems, and egd.pl launches fine (mentions 16
sources found).  I launch it as `egd.pl /etc/entropy`, and yes, I have
a sym link under ~/.gnupg pointing to this. I also let it run for a
while. I built gnupg.1.0.2 using /usr/bin/cc with the following options:

Setting CC to "/usr/bin/cc".
Setting CFLAGS to "-n32 -mips3 -O2".
Make command is "/free/bin/make" (from path).
./configure --enable-static-rnd=egd --disable-nls --prefix=/free/gnupg-1.0.2

And then make, make install.

Yes, numerous warnings were issued during the 'make', but SGI's cc is
very finicky and everything completed ok - no fatal errors. I have a
complete trace of the 'configure, make and make install' if necessary,
but I thought it a bit long to include in this prefatory ticket.

I am running this on the machine I built it on.  Any help here would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

George Sinclair | gsinclair@nodc.noaa.gov