Using gpg for french law

John C. Place John C. Place" <jcplace@attglobal.net
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 00:10:00 -0400

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 03:09:57PM +0100, Simpson, Sam wrote:

> Blowfish can accept key sizes from 1-byte (totally insecure) up to
> 448-bytes (overkill :)).

Ok, so does that mean our friend from France is out of luck because it is capable of going to what... a 3584 bit Encryption key? Also why I have your attention what benifet is twofish? Why keep it at a 128 bit session key? Symmetric keys usually compress faster then Public, right? With that in mind why not max out what blowfish is able to do. Have you heard of GnuPG supporting big keys? PGP will do 16K now. I know it is almost rediculus that we need that key I was nust wondering it is was compatable.
> The strength of Elgamal is not based on the difficulty of factoring but a
> similar problem (the discrete log problem).

Ahh I stand corrrected, the manual let me to believe it was a factoring problem.
> 128-bit Elgamal keys could be trivially broken.

At least I score 1... OK a half :-)

pun? :-) Thanks John John C. Place jcplace@attglobal.net http://profile.guru.com/placej http://placej.interactivecore.com/public_key.txt UNIX is a very user-friendly system--it's just not promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org