My public key -> http://www.keyserver.net

Felix Karpfen felkarp@pcug.org.au
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:46:26 +1000

Following the directions in the GPG Manual slavishly, I have
successfully exported my public key (in ACII format) to a file.

The next step is to get it onto a Keyserver from which it can readily
be copied by anyone interested.  http://www.keyserver.net appears to be
admirably simple.  It displays an empty field and the instructions:

Select the key and chose `Copy'
Paste into the field
Press the `submit' button

Or words to that effect.

Could hardly be simpler.

However, when checking what has been created created by the `gpg
--export' command, the file, apart from the block of ASCII characters,
also contains the following lines:

My question is:

Does everything get copied to http://www.keyserver.net or only the
ASCII characters block?

I strongly suspect that the former alternative is correct and  `adding a
key to the key-ring'  involves using what is needed from the
submitted data and discarding the rest.  However, given the importance
of getting it right first time round, I thought it worth a query.

Felix Karpfen
--

Felix Karpfen
felkarp@pcug.org.au