My public key -> http://www.keyserver.net

Felix Karpfen felkarp@pcug.org.au
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:40:20 +1000

On Sun, 06 Aug 2000, you wrote:

> > http://www.keyserver.net appears to be
> > admirably simple.

> An easier method is to use
>
> gpg --send-keys felkarp --keyserver http://www.keyserver.net
>
> that exports and uploads your public key automagically!

Even simpler - if the command activates my sendmail daemon (which is not loaded by default at login). Many thanks for the help. `gpg --send-keys' does not make it to the first chapter of the GPG Manual, and I am going at it a step at a time. The Manual provided much of the needed info - once I knew where to look. I subsequently discovered that I had even more detailed info in my downloaded `Keyserver FAQ' that I had not checked when I posted my request for help. And I still do not understand it, now that I have checked it. The info is listed below. I am posting this to gnupg-users as well, since there may be other GnuPG Newbies that would also benefit from a fuller explanation and the supplied FAQ answer has much wider applications than just placing one's own key on a keyserver. Felix Karpfen -- The info reads: A: The standard access method used by various versions of security software is to use the HTTP protocol to connect to the host search.keyserver.net on port 11371 to query this server. We provide hereunder more detailed instructions on how to configure the most common security applications: GnuPG To use a public keys server to locate or distribute your keys from GnuPG, specify the "keyserver" option in your command line or into your options file. From the command line: # ./gnupg --recv-keys --keyserver search.keyserver.net 0x81FCD7A0 From your options file ~/.gnupg/options: # This is a comment keyserver search.keyserver.net ... and then # ./gnupg --send-key 0x81FCD7A0 SNIP Q: How this server works? A: This server was written by Highware and like others, is free for public usage. It can be reached with a browser from the Web, by Email ***and by direct IP access from software such as GnuPG, PGP or SafeMail.*** -- Felix Karpfen felkarp@pcug.org.au -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org