Signature fails

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:23:29 +0200

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Scott F. Crosby wrote:

> Be sure that both users are using the same version of GPG. Versions
> prior to 1.0.2 had a problem with encoding signatures. You'll see failure
> if sending messages between incompatible versions. See
> the --emulade-md-encode-bug option in 1.0.2.
However, this happens only in cases where a non-sstandard key was used. Quite a long time ago, GnuPG changed it's default behaviour to create DSS (meaning DSA + SHA1) signatures and not anymore a signature based on DSA + RIPE-MD160. This option comes handy when you use an Elgamal encryption+signing key, which is something I don't suggest anymore. I did some benchmarks and at least on a Mobile Pentium 300 SHA-1 is a little bit faster than RIPE-MD160. Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org