DSA = DSS?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:29:03 +0200

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Bacalle wrote:

> As far as I can tell from reading docs and FAQs[1] DSA (as it appears in
> GnuPG) is the same as DSS under PGP (as it appears in PGP 5/6), yes?
DSA = Digital Signature Algorithm. DSS = Digital Signature Standard. This is the combination of DSA, the SHA-1 hash algorithm and some other minor things. DH = Diffie-Hellman Keyexchange (PGP uses this for ELG-E) ELG = ElGamal Encryption (can be used for signatures but is not suggested). ELG-E = Same as ELG but has another OpenPGP identifier number which flags it as only to be used for encryption. This is what PGP calls DH. -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org