suggest a keyserver

Alastair alastair@calliope.demon.co.uk
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:44:08 +0100

According to Bryan K. Walton:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, David T-G wrote:
>
> > I have wwwkeys.us.pgp.net in my GPG options file, and it usually works.
>
> Please forgive my ignorance here. I installed gnupg yesterday and have my
> key, etc., etc. But what do you mean by "gpg options file". Where is
> this file?
The 'options' file just allows one to specify default values to various gpg options and hence save us the trouble of typing them each time we use the software. The file resides in ~/.gnupg. See the man page.
> And what does having a keyserver in the file provide?
A keyserver is a host that holds a database of peoples public keys. On receipt of a signed communication, we can ping a keyserver, retrieve the person's key and hopefully verify the signature. All automatically (mutt allows this quite nicely for instance). Keyservers seem to be of variable accessibility but I find the following works in my ~/.gnupg/options file ; keyserver wwwkeys.cz.pgp.net Hope some of that helps. -- Alastair | alastair@calliope.demon.co.uk | http://www.calliope.demon.co.uk | PGP Key : A9DE69F8 ------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org