Windows shell woes (was: Passphrase from external program...)

Marcus lists@wordit.com
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:21:31 +0100

On 06.12.00 at 00:07 Johan Wevers wrote:

>A file descriptor is an even more low-level function than a file...
Thanks, I understand how it works now. The only thing I've got working on Windows is to use a file containing the passphrase. The script could create a temporary file, but I don't feel too pleased about having a password stored in a file at all. I guess one could encrypt the temp file before it's written. This is it in Perl: system "gpg.exe -o $file.gpg --passphrase-fd 0 -c $file < pass.txt"; Windows will only accept a file as input, grrr. Does anybody know how to pass the input from stdin? The only workaround I can think of is to
>More information about fd's can be found in K&R chapter 8, and for
piping through an fd... I'll take a peek.