GnuPG 1.0.4-1 + IDEA for Windows

Michael H. Warfield mhw@wittsend.com
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 19:33:21 -0500

On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 05:15:41PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com> writes:

> > DISTRIBUTE THE DAMN THING FROM EUROPE!

> > There is no patent on Idea in Europe.

> Wrong, there is a patent, see:

> http://l2.espacenet.com/dips/viewer?PN=EP0482154&CY=de&LG=de&DB=EPD
Refinement... There are is no patent on Idea in those European countries which have no software patents. Germany is an oddball one where software can be patented if it is reduced to hardware (if I remember the stipulation correctly). Switzerland, obviously, allows software patents. Most other European countries do not. You are correct that the statement "There is no patent on Idea in Europe" is overly general and literally false. The correct statement would have been "There is no patent on Idea in the majority of European countries". I stand corrected. You can still distribute it from Zedz.net along with the other versions of pgp which include and incorporate Idea. It does not violate any patent or the GPL there. Mike -- Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com (The Mad Wizard) | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/ NIC whois: MHW9 | An optimist believes we live in the best of all PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it! -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org