GnuPG 1.0.4-1 + IDEA for Windows

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:01:28 +0100 (MET)

ESP wrote to Keith Ray:

> Why waste everybody's time and be a humongous dickhead? You know now
> why IDEA was not included in GnuPG, you're doing something that is
> going to draw lightning to yourself and GnuPG eventually, and there's
> no good reason for it.
I just read the patent issue in the GPL. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, it doesn't say anything about where the patent need to be acknowledged for example. I'm asking because software patents are (fortunately) not given in the EC, recently they turned down a proposal from the patent lobby to do so. If, say, some obscure dictator in some banana republic claims that all public-key crypto is patented to him in that country, would that formally exclude any public-key crypto from being distributed under the GPL? BTW, the same situation exists with the gif format: the claimed patent does not hold in many countries, like mine. I'm not sure about the IDEA patent, but I don't feel like obeying the stupid laws of other countries when I'm not there.
> Do you have a point you're trying to prove? Like, "Screw you for
> making this nice program for me."?
I don't think so, I think Keith can do something and get away with it that could cause Werner, in his position, serious problems. If Werner can proove to any patent-claimers that he isn't involved with Keith's version his ass is covered. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org