GnuPG, Winblows, Speed, Key Management

Toni Mueller support@oeko.net
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:49:23 +0100

Hello,

I'm currently promoting the use of GnuPG, but have a number of
problems doing so. My main reasons to promote GnuPG are that
it's both an open-sourced and also non-US encryption package,
that it builds on the PGP principles of working w/o a central
CA, and because it's able to incorporate newer encryption
algorithms and longer key lengths than Sphinx
(read "political decision").

- Problem #1: There appears to be no good Winblows interface for it,
  or at least no good way to hook it into Outlook, IE, Netscape there,
  what have you.
- Problem #2: It's dog slow. I have still less than 300 keys in my
  keyring (expecting to double that soon), and often find myself
  interrupting gpg to read the message instead of waiting to verify
  the signature. Similar things hold for signing or encrypting a
  message.
- Problem #3: I have adjusted gpg to fetch keys on demand from a
  keyserver. My experience is that these key servers apparently
  don't synchronize their data sets in a reasonable time frame
  (weeks!), so I end up fetching keys from varying servers. This
  is __very__ inconvenient, and of course unsuitable to the casual
  Winblows user. How do I go about this?
- Problem #4: What to do in the face of massive distribution and
  promotion of Sphinx which is also _not_ interoperable with any
  kind of PGP?

Please Cc me on answers since I'm not on the list. Thank you!

Best Regards,
--Toni++