Passphrase no longer works?

Chris Clarke stcanard@yahoo.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:43:56 -0800

Hi all,

I've been using gpg 1.0.1 since mid January with no apparent
problems.  Today all of a sudden I can't get my passphrase to unlock
my secret key.  Whenever I try I get the following output:

	> gpg --sign temp.txt

	You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
	user: "Chris Clarke <stcanard@yahoo.com>"
	1024-bit DSA key, ID B057D06A, created 2000-01-17

	gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

	You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
	user: "Chris Clarke <stcanard@yahoo.com>"
	1024-bit DSA key, ID B057D06A, created 2000-01-17

	gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

	You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
	user: "Chris Clarke <stcanard@yahoo.com>"
	1024-bit DSA key, ID B057D06A, created 2000-01-17

	gpg: no default secret key: bad passphrase
	gpg: signing failed: bad passphrase

I can absolutely guarantee that I'm using the correct passphrase, and
it hasn't been changed since I created the key in January (even
assuming a horrible typing ability, in 3 hours of trying I must have
typed it correctly at least once).  I first ran into this problem when
using Mutt 1.0.1i (which I've been using for several days now); I
replied to a message that I received (first successfully decoding it),
then when trying to send / sign the message gpg wouldn't let me in.
The problem now appears when I try using gpg from the command line as
shown above.

Earlier today I added the idea and rsa modules and imported a PGP 2.x
signature, however I have sucessfully used gpg on my own keys since
that time.  I've tried commenting out the extensions in my options
file, however I still can't get in.

I'm using it on a x86 based SuSE 6.1 system.  I've even tried
recompiling and reinstalling the package, to no avail.

I'm starting to get desperate -- does anyone have any idea what's
going on here?

Thanks,
Chris.
--