Bus error on Irix 6.5.*

Scott A . McIntyre scott@whoi.edu
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:54:22 -0500

Hi,

I've seen a few other people mention this particular problem, but
haven't found any concrete solutions.  Basically, on Irix 6.5.x, gnupg
will build just fine with only minimal warnings, but upon --gen-key
invocation, after the passphrase is entered, it Bus Errors every time.

For example:

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o
You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.

<pass phrase entered, confirmed>

We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.
Bus error

I've tried this with egd running, statically enabled, dynamically
enabled, static unix, pretty much every permutation.

Gnupg was built with gcc 2.9.5, and in this case on irix 6.5.5

Any suggestions appreciated.

Scott