[OT] CAs: A Story

L. Sassaman rabbi@quickie.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:56:32 -0500 (EST)

No, Thawte doesn't sign the real user id. It seems for some reason that
they haven't figured out that that is the simplest and best way of doing
this....

<shameless plug>
FreeCert will sign PGPs correctly. For more info, go to www.freecert.org.
</shameless plug>

And if the user wants to use that ID, he needs to self-sign it. First he
needs to import it to his keyring, by turning on the option

allow-non-selfsigned-uid

And then editing the key and signing it.

Don't ask me why Thawte does it this way. I think they are confused.

I also asked a while back about the possibility of having two different
signing keys, one for the regular Freemail members (for whom there is no
real authentication done) and a separate one for the people who have
obtained 50 or more points in the Thawte WOT (who are very likely who they
say they are.)

I can not trust Thawte as an introducer for the mere freemail members, but
I would for the people who have had their IDs assertained in the WOT. But
until they use separate keys, Thawte's sigs are pointless.

I am quite willing to talk to the programmers at Thawte if they would like
to discuss the security concerns about using multiple keys, and signing
the user's real user-id. I give kudos to Thawte for supporting PGP, but it
seems they need to understand a little bit more about the signing process.

- --Len.