German umlauts in user ID?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:03:20 +0100

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jörg Ziefle wrote:

> I recently wondered if it is reasonable to use German umlauts in one's user
> ID, as I know of a few mail programs which don't display the UID correct in
> this case.
It is perfectly okay to have the Umlauts in your user ID. OpenPGP defines that user IDs are to be encoded in UTF-8. You should only make shure that you use the rightr --charset option (it defaults to Latin-1, so in many cases this is okay). Please note, that mail uses another encoding for 8 bit characters in mail headers. -- Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013 Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html