default key length of Blowfish in GPG?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:23:43 +0200

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Dawid Michalczyk wrote:

> I'm using version 1.0.1 of GPG, but only for symmetric encryption, by
> using the -c argument. I know that the Blowfish is the default algorithm
> in GPG's symmetric encryption, but what is the key length set to? I read
> that Blowfish supports variable key length(32-448bits).
128 bit. There is no good reason to beleive that 448 bits give you more security. BTW, I may switch from Blowfish to CAST5 because PGP does not support Blowfish and that results in a lot of complaints, that PGP can't decrypt such a message. Werner -- Werner Koch OpenPGP key 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de