system hangs during key generation

J. Goodleaf goodleaf@goodleaf.net
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:37:36 -0700 (PDT)

I've been trying out GNUpg, but am having one problem. When I connect
through ssh, or telnet for that matter, I cannot generate a key. The app
gets as far as key generation, then asks me to continue working so that it
can gather more random data. I can whale away at the keyboard, and
eventually, no further characters get entered onscreen. However, the
system then hangs. If I work at the machine itself, the process is
identical with the exception that, after whacking away at random keys, a
key is actually generated. Any ideas? (The problem being that if I can't
generate keys from a remote terminal, the system is useless to remote
users. PGP 6.5.1 appears not to have this problem.)

Am using FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE, with PII 266 and 64mb RAM; should be
sufficient. Oh, and the network in question is a 10-base-T.

TIA,
John

John Goodleaf
goodleaf@goodleaf.net