Oh, no: inter-version 3DES incompatibility strikes again :-(

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:23:34 +0100

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

> Aargghh! Data encrypted by GnuPG 1.0.1 are not understood by GnuPG
> 1.0.0, which complains about "bad key". Instead, GnuPG 1.0.1 interoperates
> with the old 0.9.7 (see message quoted below).
Yes, there used to be a silly bug which had to be fixed. --emulate-3des-s2k-bug allows you to decrypt it. Sorry, but none das tested it between 0.9.7 and 1.0.0. This bug did only occur when using -c and selecting another cipher-algorithm than the default one.
> document changes affecting backward compatibility a little more explicitly
> than calling them "Bug fixes and small enhancements"...
What shall I do more than to put a note into the NEWS file and answer it in doc/FAQ ?
> Oh, by the way: none of the two families interoperates with PGP6.5.1i . Data
> 3DES-encrypted with GnuPG 1.0.0 result in "incorrect passphrase" messages
> from PGP; GnuPG 1.0.1 and 0.9.7 elicit a "An error has occurred : bad
> packet" PGP Warning box.
Really? I and some other folks did test it against some PGP >= 5 and after the fix it worked. Can you please send me a PGP 6.5.1 generated test file and the passphrase used? Werner