Oh, no: inter-version 3DES incompatibility strikes again :-(

Enzo Michelangeli Enzo Michelangeli" <enzom@bigfoot.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:29:30 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Werner Koch" <wk@gnupg.org>
To: <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>; <gnupg-devel@gnupg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 18:23
Subject: Re: Oh, no: inter-version 3DES incompatibility strikes again :-(

[...]
> > Oh, by the way: none of the two families interoperates with PGP6.5.1i .
Data
> > 3DES-encrypted with GnuPG 1.0.0 result in "incorrect passphrase"
messages
> > from PGP; GnuPG 1.0.1 and 0.9.7 elicit a "An error has occurred : bad
> > packet" PGP Warning box.
>
> Really?  I and some other folks did test it against some PGP >= 5 and
> after the fix it worked.
>
> Can you please send me a PGP 6.5.1 generated test file and the
> passphrase used?

The problem occurs trying to decrypt with PGP data encrypted with GnuPG, not
the other way round. GnuPG 1.0.1 creates this sort of packets:

:symkey enc packet: version 4, cipher 2, s2k 3, hash 3
        salt 1c45ce8b23689629, count 96

:encrypted data packet:
        length: 39
:compressed packet: algo=2
:literal data packet:
        mode b, created 952514550, name="",
        raw data: 14 bytes

...whereas PGP 6.5.1 creates these others (with another plaintext):

:marker packet:
 50 47 50
:symkey enc packet: version 4, cipher 2, s2k 3, hash 2
        salt 5b13d419ff5d9447, count 96

:encrypted data packet:
        length: 42
:compressed packet: algo=1