Oh, no: inter-version 3DES incompatibility strikes again :-(

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:43:00 +0100

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

> The problem occurs trying to decrypt with PGP data encrypted with GnuPG, not
> the other way round. GnuPG 1.0.1 creates this sort of packets:
>
> :symkey enc packet: version 4, cipher 2, s2k 3, hash 3

> ...whereas PGP 6.5.1 creates these others (with another plaintext):

> :symkey enc packet: version 4, cipher 2, s2k 3, hash 2
GnuPG uses RIPEMD-160 and PGP uses SHA-1 as the hash algorith used to make a key out of the passphrase. I can't see that any of these implementaions violate RFC2440 here. I know that SHA-1 is a required alogorithms and RIPE is optional but because there is no way to negotiate this parameters (like the preferences we use with public keys) both encodings are valid. Werner