"Encrypted session key is bad" (was: Re: GPG & PGP 6.5.x (was: PGP 5.x and GnuPG))

L. Sassaman rabbi@quickie.net
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:49:40 -0800 (PST)

Okay, here's your answer. The test keys and message tht William gave me
helped a lot.

It looks like GnuPG is listing Twofish, then Blowfish, then CAST as
preferred algorithms. For some reason, GnuPG is encrypting to
Blowfish, instead of Twofish. (Bug, Werner?)

To be decrypted in PGP 6.5.x, the message must use CAST, IDEA, or 3DES as
the ESK.

To be the most compatable with all implementations of OpenPGP, one should
3DES, as this will be present in all OpenPGP compliant programs. (IDEA and
CAST5 are "shoulds", 3DES is a "must".) You are taking a chance with the
others, if you plan to move the secret keys to a different program in the
future.

Note that this incompatability only applies to keys generated in one
program, and imported and used in another.

You could keep the old key and work around this by adding a new UID with a
different preferred algorithm specified, and encrypting to that.

- --Len.