decrypting input, not a file...

Paul Evad pevad@kudosnet.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 19:24:57 -0700

I finally figured out the proper syntax to decrypt a file from
command line passing the passphrase as

echo '$passphrase' | gpg -v --batch --no-secmem-warning
--passphrase-fd 0 --decrypt $file

However, in a particular case... I would like to decrypt a 'string'
but don't want to necessarily write the 'string' to a file.

I know I can encrypt a 'string' passed on the command line... but how
can I get gpg to read a varialbe instead of passing a file name?

Sorry, fairly new to scripting with bash etc...

Please CC me on reply's, I haven't subscribed to the list yet....

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

- paul

For a copy of our most recent newsletter send a blank email to:
mailto:latestnews@kudosnet.net