decrypting input, not a file...

Frank Tobin ftobin@uiuc.edu
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:26:52 -0500 (CDT)

Paul Evad, at 19:24 -0700 on Wed, 17 May 2000, wrote:

> echo '$passphrase' | gpg -v --batch --no-secmem-warning
> --passphrase-fd 0 --decrypt $file
>
> However, in a particular case... I would like to decrypt a 'string'
> but don't want to necessarily write the 'string' to a file.
While I think using shell for anything sensitive is ridiculous...this might work. I don't recommend passing in passphrases to stdin, however, in case you run situations where the passhrase isn't needed, and is processed as part of the normal message by GnuPG. echo "$passphrase\n$string" | gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --decrypt