Decryption of file encrypted using multiple userIDs fails

Stephane Corthesy stephane@sente.ch
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:55:38 +0100

Hi,

I'm writing an extension for a mailer, which allows it to
encrypt/decrypt pgp messages, and I make calls to gpg for this.

When I decrypt a message which has been encrypted for many people,
gpg returns an error, even if it can decrypt the message, because I
don't feed it with all receiver secret key passphrases!

For example, if I encrypt a message like this:
gpg --recipient recipient1 --recipient recipient2 --recipient
recipient3 --armor --encrypt myMessage

When recipient3 receives the message, it tries to decrypt it with:

gpg --no-tty --passphrase-fd 0 --decrypt theMessage

by passing its passphrase to stdin. gpg returns an error code of 2,
stderr states that there is no secret key for decryption available
(receiver1) or that passphrase is bad (receiver2), AND returns the
decrypted message to stdout, as it could be decoded using receiver3
passphrase.

Is there a way to avoid gpg to return an error code in this case?
There is no error, as the message could finally be decrypted; it
doesn't matter if not all identities are known.

Please, cc to stephane@sente.ch

Thank you,

Stephane