Multiple Key ID

Huels, Ralf KSV Ralf.Huels@schufa.de
17 Oct 2000 11:41:01 +0200

> I've created a key using GNU-PG, containing my master signing key, and
> an encryption key. This key has as its id as my home email address.
> However I also want a key for work. Should I simply use the same key or
> can I add a new ID to it (email address of work etc) whilst still using
> the same encryption key.
If you just use the key as it is, people might have trouble associating it with your work address. You /could/ add your work address as a second UID to your first key, however there might be security issues (see below).
> Does anyone else use PGP at home and work? If so have you used
> multiple keys, or the same, or found some other method that I havn't
> seen?
I use two distinct keypairs because my machine at work is in a network that I donīt have control over. I use the work key for experimental stuff only and it contains a comment that I donīt really trust it. If you trust your office machine enough to keep your secret key on it, you should use one key with two UIDs. Otherwise Iīd recommend to use two keypairs. Tschuess, Ralf -- Ralf Hüls Bismarckplatz KSV Kreditschutz-Vereinigung GmbH 44866 Bochum Score-Consult Tel. 02327/9114-28 http://www.schufa.de/ Fax. 02327/8 40 27 -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org