GnuPG fails to import some PGP keys

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:48:35 +0200

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Daniele Arena wrote:

> I guess that means we won't be able to import these two keys as-they-are
> to a GnuPG keyring...:( Well, I guess we'll find some workaround.
I don't think that it makes sense to import a key without a user ID (except for some special cases and then you can always add a self-signed user-ID "anonymous").
> I tried to find some documentation which would explain why some keys can
> be imported by PGP but not by GnuPG (maybe that depends on how the key was
> generated? The algorithm? The PGP version? Etc.), but I failed. Maybe
If you do not have a RSA enabled, you run into problems, but since 1.0.3 this should be no problem anymore. The only extra requirement gpgp has, it the self-signed user ID and that is something every new key has. There is a small chnace that the currpted key is valid and triggers some rare conditions, so that only gpg can't read it. But givend that the CRC is also invalid I bet the prpblem is somewhere else. PGP probably has another way to read and process the keys and in your particular case PGP just works and gpg not. Becuase gpg can't list the key, we would have to check it manually, I have currently no time to do so. Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org