open source

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:03:47 +0200

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Wayne Davis wrote:

> The folks ate NAI/PGP have made the assertion that GPG has taken PGP and
> reverse engineered it in order to obtain the source fo GPG.
> Can you provide the GPG side of this story?
What? Please give me an URL, so that I get something to laugh on. They should go to the CVS and follow the path of the GnuPG development since December 1997. Although I did know the code of PGP 2, I have not looked at the PGP 5 code for a long time. The data formats of PGP 5 used to be proprietary in the beginning, and so I started with RFC1991 and added my own extensions. Later OpenPGP came out and I dropped most of my private extensions to RFC1991 (which describes the PGP 2 data format). Werner -- Werner Koch GnuPG key: 621CC013 OpenIT GmbH http://www.OpenIT.de -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org