phil zimmerman on GPG

Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter brenno@dewinter.com
Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:54:09 +0200

John,

That's funny. Bruce Schneier himself said on Twofish last year on Rootfest
that he would not use it yet, because it was to new. He had more confidence
in Blowfish sofar .... So who should we believe. Werner ... you be the judge.
.... the part of plugable algorithms do not make too much sense to me, but
maybe I'm just missing the point here. Without denying what Phil Zimmerman
did for the PGP-world, I think his point of view is not unbiassed. Especially
on the recent news around PGP (something I heard before in June, but refused
to believe back then, since the person he claimed it couldn't prove it to
me). The fact that PGP currently is a part of Network Associates, which
according to some people has strong ties with the US Government concerned me
for some time already. From that point-of-view GnuPG is a very important
development!

Cheers,

Brenno.