phil zimmerman on GPG

Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter brenno@dewinter.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:57:15 +0200 (CEST)

Dear all,

> We need them as a workaround for the patented algorithms and they
> are nice when using gpg for experiments. They add complexity and
> therefore they increase the risk of security bugs. However it is
> not a vulnerability - it doesn't matter whether you are able to
> change a module, gpg itself, libc, libz, libintl, the kernel or the
> microcode (how would you call that in the Crusoe ship?) of the CPU.
Point taken and I fully agree on that one.
> I think I have always talked fair about PGP and when some time ago
> Phil gave me a phone call to ask me to remove some unfair statements
> from the GnuPG website I promised to check this.
Hmm that amazes me. I agree I was not able to catch you on faul play yet. And I remember your fair and helpful attitude last year when I was in desperate need of encryption for windows you even pointed me towards PGP and that time. I sometimes got the feeling he is under some pressure from his employer or so. It is a fact that the US government is not too keen about this project, however you do nothing wrong. Even better ... on the long term two compatible products may help both sides (marketing mechanism). Companies in general will not run towards GPL-ed software and smaller companies will (mostly the same that use now illegal copies of software). So you are surely not such a big threat to Network Associates.