GnuPG 1.03, RSA/IDEA, and cipher-algo preferences

Glenn Leavell glenn@leavell.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:09:30 -0400

I sent the following note to the list a week ago and haven't received
any replies, so I thought I'd give it one more shot.  Can anyone help
me associate a default cipher-algo preference to be associated with
each key in my keyring?  Thanks --Glenn

----- Forwarded message from Glenn Leavell <glenn@leavell.com> -----

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:29:23 -0400
From: Glenn Leavell <glenn@leavell.com>
To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
Subject: GnuPG 1.03, RSA/IDEA, and cipher-algo preferences

I'm using GnuPG 1.03 with external IDEA support, and I've been able to
successfully use IDEA to send encrypted documents to PGP users with an
RSA key.  To accomplish this, I'm using the "--cipher-algo idea" option.
According to gpg(1) :

       --cipher-algo name
                 Use name as cipher algorithm. Running the pro­
                 gram with the command --version yields a list of
                 supported  algorithms.  If  this is not used the
                 cipher algorithm is selected  from  the  prefer­
                 ences stored with the key.

This makes it sound like I can associate a default cipher algorithm
preference for each key in my keyring.  Unfortunately, I haven't been
able to determine how to set this preference from reading the man pages
or the GnuPG Handbook.  I'd love to be able to automatically use IDEA
when encrypting to PGP users and something like 3DES or BLOWFISH when
encrypting to GnuPG users.  Can anyone offer any assistance?

Thanks,
Glenn