encrypted partitions/filesystems

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 11 22:23:04 2001

Christoph Hertel wrote:

>>Keeping my keyring on an encrypted disk should be pretty safe?
>if it is mounted all the time, there will be no difference...
That depends what you are trying to protect yourself from. If it's the police: their standard procedure is to switch power off, make a bitcopy of the drive and then try to read it in another machine. So for this procedure an encrypted filesystem might work. Although for the Dutch police even a strange partitioning is sufficient to prevent them from reading the drive - I speak from experience from the DOS age, when my 286 used some tricks with Ontrack diskmanager to use a HD the BIOS didn't recognise, and they couldn't read it. BTW, pkzip 1.1 encryption proved too hard for them too. :-) On the other hand, if you're affraid some Jihad group would read the data, they would probably be able to "persuade" you to give them the password. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html