Mac OS X

Oliver Hattwig Oliver.Hattwig@web.de
Wed Aug 1 17:58:01 2001

Hi out there!

I'm new to the mailing list and watching this thread a fairly long time.
Though I'm neither a Mac OS X user nor interested in supporting a
specific given point of view in this discussion, I just wanted to
mention some more facts.

That's not correct regarding what Apple says on its own pages (http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/): "[...] Darwin is the core of Mac OS X. The Darwin kernel is based on FreeBSD and Mach 3.0 technologies [...]" And even clearer from the Tech Specs page from Apples own web site (http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs/): "[...] At the foundation of Mac OS X lies an industrial-strength = UNIX-based core operating system that delivers unprecedented stability and performance."
> MacOSX has a *BSD compatibility layer arround the kernel that=20
> provides the POSIX api and all the things commonly found on a Unix =
system.=20
> Again, MacOSX is not linux or BSD with a pretty UI
>=20
> [...]
So, IMPOV Mac Os X is not based on Linux but - at least partially - = based on FreeBSD. And what I think is more important is the fact that Apple = itself claims Mac OS X to be UNIX-based. Any discussion whether it is Linux-based or FreeBSD-based is therefore = of no big relevance. Let's sort things out and find the reasons why GnuPG is = making problems on Mac OS X, whether the installation is not working properly = or=20 something has to be done on the code. Regards and HAND, Oliver