GPG Executable for Windows

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 9 07:08:02 2001

This is nonsense. All mentioned algorithms are freely available. Thomas H. Engen wrote:
>> In generating a key, i can choose between DSA and/or ElGamal.
>> But is there any executable file for GPG for Windows where i can choose
>> among RSA, AES, 3DES, Blowfish, Twofish, CAST5, MD5, SHA-1, RIPE-MD-160
>> and TIGER.
AES, 3DES, Blowfish, Twofish and CAST5 are symmetric key algorithms. GnuPG creates random session keys for them, they can not be used for public/secret keys.
>MD5, SHA-1, RIPE-MD-160 and TIGER.
These are hash algorithms, they are not even ciphers. The only public/secret algorithm you further mention is RSA. This was patented in the USA till september 2000, so GNU purists didn't implement it in the official release of GnuPG. However, since sept.2000 the official release of GnuPG can use RSA keys (before that there was a separate plugin). However, it can't generate them. If you want to generate a RSA key, use pgp 2.x or some later versions (not all later versions generate RSA keys for the same reason). It's available for win32. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html