PGP: Invalid key ?

Alexander Skwar ASkwar@DigitalProjects.com
Sat Aug 18 22:16:02 2001

So sprach =BBLars Geiger=AB am 2001-08-18 um 20:20:05 +0200 :

> I just wanted to give a hint. BTW, I don't think that PGP's error
Thanks! :)
> message was so unclear. It told you that it couldn't change the trust
> settings of invalid keys. It's PGP's standard behaviour to expect a user
Jup, that's right - but what's an invalid key? Maybe a broken key? Maybe a key PGP doesn't understand fully? Maybe a bug in PGP? Maybe a not validated key (whatever PGP means with this)? It would have been clear if PGP had said something like: "Can't change trust on keys *which are not signed by trusted keys*". Because after all, the reason PGP refuses to change the trust of the key is because it's not signed. No, I'll still say that the error message is confusingly inaccurate.
> to validate a key before it can be trusted. Maybe that's different from
"validate a key"? Uhm? That can be anything! I validated the key because I created it on the same computer and I transfered it to PGP just a split second later. So the key is validated. And still PGP refuses to change the trust because it cannot know this.
> GnuPG but I like the way PGP handles it.
I don't. It's completely my problem which way I handle this - ie. first signing and afterwards chaning the trust or the other way around. But ranting about bad error messages of PGP on a GPG is "slightly" off-topic... Alexander Skwar --=20 How to quote: http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english) Homepage: http://www.digitalprojects.com | http://www.iso-top.de iso-top.de - Die g=FCnstige Art an Linux Distributionen zu kommen Uptime: 21 hours 2 minutes