Password reset

Subba Rao Subba Rao <subba9@home.com>
Tue Aug 21 01:35:01 2001

On  0, David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 06:39:32PM +0000, Subba Rao wrote:
> > I have created my keys a while ago but have not used it as much as I wanted
> > to. The worst part of it is that now I am begining to exchange some work
> > files with my team and I cannot remember my password. Now I cannot sign the
> > keys they sent to me. Everytime I use the "--sign-key" option, I am prompted
> > for a password. I have tried all from the set of passwords I use.
> >
> > Is there any way to reset the password on this key? I would like to avoid
> > creating a new key.
>
> In short, no.
>
> That is a feature. Remember: if you can reset your password and
> regain access to a key, so could the Bad Guys.

True and I did think about it. Again, countering good security, I wanted the flexability. Next time I will be more careful with my keys password. My key was set to expire at the end of September. Will the public on the key servers become completely obsolete to sign or encrypt anything? I would hate to have a key hanging out there. I do have revocation certificate for them. If I need password to revoke a certificate, then I might as well forget those keys for good. Thanks to all the repliers input. -- Subba Rao subba9@home.com http://members.home.net/subba9/ GPG public key ID 27FC9217 Key fingerprint = 2B4C 498E 1860 5A2B 6570 5852 7527 882A 27FC 9217