Deleting secret keys w/o public keys

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 22 23:49:02 2001

Michael Below wrote:

> gpg: key XXXXXXXX: secret key without public key - skipped
I think it should be possible to recreate the public key from the secret key (of course not the other way around), but I don't know any tools for that.
> each time I encrypt or decrypt something.
>
> Deleting the keys with --delete-secret-key or
> --delete-secret-and-public-key doesn't work, that leads to:
>
> gpg: 0xXXXXXXXX: user not found
> gpg: 0xXXXXXXXX: delete key failed: public key not found
I just tested it with a backup copy of my keyring. Using gpg --delete-secret-key A32D0F10 with the last number is the key ID of the secret key (see gpg --list-secret-keys for the ID) works. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html