Email reader...

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Aug 23 14:48:02 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:28:39 +0200 (MET DST), Johan Wevers said:

>> The FSF does not publish these cases for good reasons.

> What are those good reasons if I may ask?
It is easier to talk to companies and convince them if you do not put them in the pillory.
> Was this decided in court, or only a negotiated agreement? I'm a bit
> persistent in this matter because I have read a long discussion on a Dutch
They were asked and after some time they agreed to comply with the GPL.
> the GPL. For example, the legality of someone not being allowed to link a
> closed source program against a GPL library was very much disputed.
No court decisions so far. However at least in Germany a court has also to look at the intention of a contract if there are doubts on how to interpret it.
> Well, if I lived in a country run by copyright extremists I probably would
> not do it so openly. But fortunately in The Netherlands I could safely put
> DeCSS on my site without anyone even complaining.
and may get arrested the next time you visit Iraq^H^H^H^Hthe U.S. -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus