Piping stdout to more or less?

Robert A. Knop Jr. rknop@panisse.lbl.gov
Fri Aug 24 06:42:01 2001

When I run either

  gpg --decrypt file.gpg | more

or

  gpg --output=- file.gpg | more

things don't work as they ought to.  I don't see the prompt for the
password; this is unsurprising, since it's probably lost somewhere in the
pipe.  I type my passphrase, and then the cleartext is priunted to the
screen, along with the More prompt.  However, none of the more keypresses
do what I expect; space does not move to the next page, and so forth.
I've also tried less, with the same problem.  Instead, all of the keys I
press are echoed back to the screen after the More prompt at the bottom of
the screen.

Is there a way to get stdout output of gpg piped into a pager, without
having to first save the cleartext to disk?

Thank you,

-Rob Knop