Piping stdout to more or less?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri Aug 24 10:50:01 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:40:18 -0700 (PDT), Robert A Knop said:

> When I run either
> gpg --decrypt file.gpg | more

> or

> gpg --output=- file.gpg | more
Use the second form, cause gpg would otherwise create "file" from "file.gpg". This is similar to gzip. Or pipe the data to gpg and the output will go to stdout.
> things don't work as they ought to. I don't see the prompt for the
> password; this is unsurprising, since it's probably lost somewhere in the
> pipe. I type my passphrase, and then the cleartext is priunted to
> the
I never seen such problems and I am using it regulary.
> I've also tried less, with the same problem. Instead, all of the keys I
> press are echoed back to the screen after the More prompt at the bottom of
What version of GnuPG are you using and what operating system? -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus