No valid OpenPGP data found.

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Aug 29 19:07:02 2001

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 06:52:28PM +0200, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:

> > > rfc2045 says in the section on ascii armor:
> > >
> > > starting five dashes, and following the ending five dashes. The
> > > header lines, therefore, MUST start at the beginning of a line, and
> > > MUST NOT have text following them on the same line. These line
> >
> > Don't you think this could be an example of "be conservative in what
> > you generate, and liberal in what you accept"? Generate perfect
> > RFC-compliant messages, sure, but maybe GnuPG should accept messages
> > that are somewhat broken (especially in this case, which is a
> > difference of whitespace only).
>
> RFC 2440, page 46:
>
> 6.4. Decoding Radix-64
>
> Any characters outside of the base64 alphabet are ignored in Radix-64
> data. Decoding software must ignore all line breaks or other
> characters not found in the table above.
>
> In Radix-64 data, characters other than those in the table, line
> breaks, and other white space probably indicate a transmission error,
> about which a warning message or even a message rejection might be
> appropriate under some circumstances.
[...]
> so, end-of-line-spaces are PEFECTLY legal.
It also says "a warning message or even a message rejection might be appropriate under some circumstances." So they may be legal, but GnuPG is still completely allowed to reject the message :) David p.s. Though I think it should accept it. -- David Shaw | dshaw@jabberwocky.com | WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/ +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+ "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson