S/MIME or PGP/MIME?

Frank Tobin ftobin@neverending.org
Fri Dec 7 16:44:01 2001

Marc Mutz, at 13:13 +0100 on 2001-12-07, wrote:

> If you encrypt messages you want nobody else than the recipients to be
> able to read them, no?

Actually, it's a little more complicated than that.  It's not simply *you*
you needs to want the message encrypted, it needs to be both you and the
recipient that want the message encrypted for its secrecy to hold.

> Please tell me why you then want to send the same message encrypted to
> some and unencrypted to some others?

If one of your recipients doesn't 'agree' to having message encrypted to
him (e.g., doesn't have a public key, publicly posts all of his/her mail,
etc), then there's nothing you can do.  You can only make a 'best effort'.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/