Estimated release of GnuPG 1.0.7?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon Dec 17 13:04:01 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:35:07 +0100, Olivier Mascia said:

> Are there licensing or political reasons not to let people compile GnuPG
> with proprietary commercial compilers ? I suppose not.

The reasons why I don't support native compiling on Windows (well
Cygwin32 basically works) it is far too much work to keep track of all
the toolchain changes MS has done over the last 15 years or more and
you need all these proprietary and buggy software.  I used to maintain
a lot of software using my multi-toolchain, multi-target environment
for many years, but later decided that it is a futile exercise.  It is
far ebtter to have a regular environment on one machine adn
cross-compile for other targets.

Another reason is trust.  I trust the GNU tool chain much more than
any proprietary one.  Using a free toolchain reduces the risk of
introducing backdoors.

  Werner