Configure Failed need red hat install help

Cindy Walsh cwalsh@massed.net
Sat Jan 27 20:06:07 2001

> > ls -l /dev/nu*
> > crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 3 May 5 1998 /dev/null
>
> You have to ask your system administrator to make /dev/null
> world-writable. Otherwise, many programs simply won't work.
Hi, I went into the "configure" file, and replaced all refs to /dev/null to /vs5/vs5/my_virtual_host/dev/null as suggested by the hosting company admin. I got a bit further, but still no success. Looks like there were some other write permission problems which finally terminated the script when gcc failed. I tried using the --prefix and --exec-prefix (setting them to /vs5/vs5/my_virtual_host) but that did not change the results. The regular output from configure is below. If you want the sh -v output, let me know and I will send it to you. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.