(cosmetic?) bug in 1.0.6

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Jul 10 23:20:01 2001

Hi,

I just stumbled on a bug in 1.0.6.  If you have two keys with similar
uids, and you gpg --edit one of them and do something that needs the
passphrase, gpg may prompt you for the passphrase for another key.

For example, say I had two keypairs - "dshaw key1", and "dshaw key2",
and I wanted to add a subkey to "dshaw key1".  I do "gpg --edit
dshaw", and "addkey".  I am then prompted to type the passphrase for
"dshaw key2", which is wrong.

Note that even though the prompt is for a different key, gnupg still
requires you to type the passphrase for the key you are actually
working with.

The obvious workaround is to specify the key with the hex keyid.

David