programming languages & GNU PG

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 19 18:03:01 2001

Tuomas Pellonpera wrote:

> What is the significance of assembly language and Java for developing
> cryptographic applications, such as GnuPG?
I didn't see any crypto software being mainly developed in such languages. The only other language than C I have seen crypto software in is Delphi.
> Is there any observable trend to move away from C to, for example, C++
> and/or Java (now that there is a free implementation of Java -- Kaffe)?
Why would someone want to program crypto software in such a language? Writing crypto software often requires manipulating stuff on the bit level - something Java is not good at. Not to mention its dependence on either slow, bulky virtual machines, or buggy native compilers (J++). -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html