GNUpg 1.0.6

Anthony E . Greene agreene@pobox.com
Sat Jun 9 14:44:01 2001

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 06:50:47 Richard Ibbotson wrote:

>Rob
>
>> > I have tried to set the default key in order to get GNUpg to
>> > decrypt so that I can read mail.
>>
>> how did you set the default key ; by editing the 'options' file ?
>
>No, where's the options file in SuSE 7.1 ?
man gpg On most Linux systems, the man utility uses the standard pager (less) to view manual pages. To search for text while viewing a page using less, use= =20 /textstring Manual pages usually have a section specifically for files taht are important to the subject program. So you should be able to find info on the options file using: man gpg /FILES The search is case-sensitive so those two strings are not equivalent. Use "q" to quit. Viewing a man page using less is more functional than viewing it using the GUI viewers I've seen.=20
>> > that GNUpg immediately asks me to "Go ahead and type your
>> > message..... ".
>>
>> that is what you get when you run 'gpg' without any
>> commands/options.
>
>Yes, but... if I type ' gpp --default-key richard@sheflug.co.uk' it=20
>just asks me to go ahead and type my message.
That still does not give gpg any data to process. You need to specify a file or redirect a file using: gpg < encrypted_input.asc > plaintext_result.txt or gpg -sea -r recipient_keyid < plaintext_input.txt > encrypted_result.asc
>> you would have to set the key in your e-mail program or do it
>> yourself in the 'options' file.
>
>I use Kmail although I prefer Pine. Tried the options in Kmail for=20
>version 1.2 and can't get it to work.
>
>> you could save the message as a text-file and then run 'gpg
>> --import <file>' to see if that works.
>
>No, didn't like that either :(
That command is for importing keys. It would take days of back and forth on this list to figure this out. I recommend a review of the man page and some practice at the command line using the included examples: man gpg /EXAMPLES Tony --=20 Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/> PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D Chat: AOL/Yahoo: TonyG05 MSN: te_greene Linux. The choice of a GNU Generation. <http://www.linux.org/>