HOWTO on interfacing with gnupg/pgp?

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 18 23:44:02 2001

Werner Koch wrote:

> No. By using IDEA you show that there is still an interest in
> patented algorithms.
I am interested in using IDEA. Not because it is patented but because it is tested and found to be secure. IDEA has had more testing than the other algorithms except for 3DES, but for 3DES the effective keylength is only 112 bits. Crypto algorithms are not comparable to graphical formats, where one can drop GIF and use PNG without loosing any functionality. Proving that a graphical format can be used for certain things is easy, proving that a crypto algorithm is secure is not and takes time.
> It says somewhere: If you want to make money with PGP you have
> to arrange with me how I can get my share. This does not qualify it
> as Free Software according to any definition - except for those of Apple
> an MS ;-)
I can only find this in the pgp 2.3a docs (in pgpdoc2.txt): Regardless of and perhaps contrary to some provisions of the FSF General Public License, the following terms apply: 1) Written discussions of PGP in magazines or books may include fragments of PGP source code and documentation, without restrictions. 2) Although the FSF General Public License allows non-proprietary derivative products, it prohibits proprietary derivative products. Despite this, I may grant you a special license if you want to derive a proprietary commercial product from some of PGP's parts. There may or may not be a fee, depending on the circumstances. Retaining my copyright notice and attribution might suffice in some cases. Give me a call and we'll discuss it. I'm real easy to please. Any such license would not free you of any patent licensing requirements. As far as I can see this does not violate the GPL. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html