Fwd: crypto flaw in secure mail standards

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Mon Jun 25 06:22:01 2001

--jho1yZJdad60DJr+

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 11:58:35PM -0400, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, David Shaw wrote:
> >Mr. Davis's paper points out that OpenPGP (and hence GnuPG) signs and
> >encrypts documents by essentially clearsigning the document, then
> >wrapping the clearsigned document in a layer of encryption.
> >
> >It is thus possible for Alice to send a signed and encrypted mail to
> >Bob, Bob decrypts it, recovering the clearsigned message, and then
> >re-encrypts it to Charlie. Charlie will receive the original document
> >with Alice's signature intact.
>=20
> The encryption in this example is beside the point and in fact is a
> distraction to the primary argument; that signed data can be taken out of
> context, given sufficiently vague data and a forgeable delivery mechanism.
I think the point of the encryption in the example was to show how a user could be confused. Everyone understands what a (clear)signed document is and that it can be forwarded by the recipient to someone else without harming the signature. The idea behind a sign-and-encrypt is that it goes *to someone*. The user's assumption may well be that since the document can only be read by the recipient, then the signed data can only be used by them as well. Obviously this is completely incorrect, but I can see how a user could think that way. Somebody on another list pointed out that this situation was exactly like the real-world analog of a signed document in an envelope. If you sign something and put it in an envelope, nothing stops the recipient from opening the envelope and re-sending the signed contents to someone else.