Decrypt files with the embedded filenames

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Fri Nov 2 14:08:02 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:08:04 -0000, ritter, horst (EDS CH) said:

> gpg --use-embedded-filename -d Filename.pgp
> After typing my passphrase it writes the file to stdout, my terminal. Not my
> intention. :-(

So the filename was stdout, which is used if you pipe the data to gpg
while encrypting.

Using this option is dangerous, so please don't do it.

> gpg --output --use-embedded-filename -d Filename.pgp
> After typing my passphrase it writes the file on disk with the filename
> 'use-embedded-filename'. Also not my intention. The used version of GnuPG is

It should have use the filename "--use-embedded-filename" because that
is the argument you gave to --output

> 1.0.2 running on Linux 2.4.6.

Ohhhh!  Do not use such an old version - there are security problems!
1.0.6 is current one.

> I would be greatful for any hints, or any ideas, which may lead to a
> solution. Please CC: all replies.

Hth,

  Werner